Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hidden Empire by Orson Scott Card

This week I took my son to the library and we both got new library cards.  I helped him pick out some books to read and then I got some for me.  I picked up Hidden Empire for my entertainment and I wasn't disappointed.  Having read Empire by Orson Scott Card a couple of years ago I was excited to see the sequel to it and a little intrigued at how this near future/alternative reality sci-fi thriller would twist and turn.  The first novel was interesting because it dealt with the civil war that happens between Red States and Blue State and is ultimately resolved in a series of dramatic and heroic twists that leave you just a little hopeful for the world.  This book starts off with something just as tragic and perhaps more dreadful than Civil War.  A virus that has the potential to kill as much as half of the worlds population starts in Africa.  It is this virus that becomes the tool of bringing peace...that and war.  As the President in the story says ( and I'm sure he's quoting someone) "There is no road to peace that does not pass through war".  One thing that really surprised me was the use of Christianity in this book.  Historically speaking the Roman Empire was lost in large part to a plague that devastated the population and eventually led to Christians becoming the influencing factor in succeeding governments.  The reason given for their success is that they cared for each other through the plague and for their neighbors and because of that they died at a significantly lower rate than the non-Christians.  The Christians in this story act the same way and in doing so drop death rates from the virus from 30-50% down to 15% or lower.  This theme in the middle of the larger story is something that struck me as the purpose behind the novel.  Not the political story and not the similarities to world circumstances today but the theme of civilization existing on the backs of people willing to care for one another.  I'm not suggesting that Christians are the only ones that do that.  I'm simply saying that this book brings to light the real success of civilization and that is not the technology, the economy, the politics, it is the lives we share one with another.  Orson Scott Card in the end of this proposes an incredible moral dilemma and to me the answer was in the middle of the book and not in the ethics of political posturing for the benefit of mankind.  If you enjoy a political thriller on top of world class moral dilemmas with just the right twist of Science Fiction then this novel is for you.  If you don't care for those things I encourage you to read both books anyway because they are well written and the characters are worth caring about.