Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Yesterday we went to a movie. Yup we didn't rent a movie, we actually went to a theater with four kids one of which celebrated his second birthday that very day. We had the whole experience. I ate too much popcorn and drank too much pop. That, however, is not what this post is about. We watched as you may have noticed by the title of this post Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It was an awesome movie. We didn't watch it in 3D but it wouldn't have made the movie better. I have read the entire series of Chronicles of Narnia and enjoyed them very much. I have watched The Lion Witch & The Wardrobe as well as Prince Caspian and this one is easily the best of the three. I'm not going to suggest that the acting was better because it wasn't. The thing that made this one the best of the three is how closely it followed the book. I would normally not compare a movie to a book but in this case it couldn't be helped because they were so similar. C.S. Lewis was an incredible author and created one of the best fantasy worlds of all literature.
I loved the overt Christian theme and the awesome way that the world of Narnia came to life. Having read the book and now watching the movie I felt like I was having deja vu. The way the islands felt like I had visited them along side Caspian, Reepicheep, Edmund and Lucy was almost surreal. The snotty way that Eustace spoke and the humility that changed his very countenance after changing back from being a dragon.
I encourage all who haven't seen this to watch it as soon as you are able. It's not necessary to watch it on the silver screen because it's about the story and not the venue and the story is phenomenal. Remember that Aslan is with you always and remember he's just known by a different name in our world.