Monday, September 19, 2011

Book review: The Entrepreneur Equation

I was on Google+ today and read something by Carol Roth. While reading I was reminded of her book that I received as a gift from Erika Napoletano (redheadwriting.com). The Entrepreneur Equation was a great read and a really hard read for exactly the same reasons.

I was extremely excited to get this book from Erika because I've been thinking of getting my own business started and I thought this would give me insight into the process. I was right, but I'm afraid I'm not encouraged by the insight. Carol opened my eyes to what it means to be a business owner. The American Dream has been fed to us since we were little and no one ever tells you that 80% of people fail at the American Dream. They only tell you how this guy they know made it big selling widgets and now he lives in Tahiti or some exotic place all because he took a chance and now he's living the American Dream. It's just like magic...except it's not.

Carol opened my eyes to the impossibility of being a business owner and that those lucky enough to become successful are the exception and not the rule. There are few people who ever go into business with their eyes wide open. After reading The Entrepreneur Equation you won't have the luxury of closing your eyes ever again.

I won't go into the details. I will say that if you are serious about getting into business and think you have thought of everything you had better pick this book up and give it a good read. Do the thinking/decision exercises at the end of each chapter and then before you quit that day job read it again and if you still feel strongly about your idea then go for it...but plan on failing along the way...if you plan for it in advance you may just have a chance in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your well worded remarks here.