Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pretty sure I hate car repairs!

I hate car repairs
So we're a day from leaving for vacation...the first in a very long time and I keep hearing a high whine like a jet engine from our car. At first I thought it was the new tires we put on it...then I started thinking it was something else. Karen's dad checked it out and agreed that it was not the tires. Took it in last night to get it checked out. Guy says that it's probably the rear differential pinion bearing. Estimates that it would cost $500-700 to replace the damaged part. So I'm thinking 'this is not good...I hope we can get it fixed tomorrow so we can still leave for our vacation'. This morning is the day we're supposed to leave. We'd like to leave town around 2:00 p.m. after the kids are out of school. So we call a couple of places for an estimate...the first guy we call says $800 but it could be something other than the pinion bearing and he'd need to look at it but it's not likely he could finish the job today. So we take it to our "guys" who have done all the repairs and maintenance on this and our other vehicles. They take it out for a drive and come back and demonstrate that it's not likely the bearings but rather the "gears" in the rear differential. So I call my little brother who is far more mechanically inclined and he says that if it's the whole back end he could replace it in no time flat. He also suggests that we find one at a junk yard and get it for a lot less than a new one ($1500-2500) and he could put it in really quick. So I call Karen and talk to her and get all snippy with her (Sorry) and now I'm just feeling bad and wanted to vent just a little. I'll complete the post when the damage is done...but don't count on me being a happy camper over this.
UPDATE: So the final tally is coming in at $1960...yup there is no question that I HATE car repairs. The gears in the differential were chunking off and we won't be leaving until tomorrow...sometime. Meaning we probably won't leave for vacation until mid-day tomorrow. Today just got a whole lot worse. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your well worded remarks here.